Friday, March 26, 2010

Breaking the Silence




Breaking the Silence
Digital Poster
Spring 2010
Wren Wilson

Here is one of my earliest poster designs which I made for well attended student activist art festival while I was in my first college graphic design class. The event was intended to raise money and awareness for women in the Congo.


For the poster I recruited my friend Grace, a Congolese student, as my model. 

The color scheme of the poster and the star in the upper left corner are based on the Congolese flag. 

We also had the design printed on a T-shirts. 
Here are some of them modeled on step team members on the night of the event. 

Other design considerations: I thought that the chosen principal font, Orator, fit with the activist theme. I consulted with the organizers of the event and we wanted to emphasize to campus visitors that the event was free so I chose "It's free" as the lead copy after the event title. It was purely coincidental that the lighting on her forehead ended up looking like the outline of the Congo.




 The poster was so popular that we had to reprint them because the first ones we printed got stolen!


Here are a few more photos from the successful event:

Here I am working in the tech booth at the performance. Look at that long hair!

Another angle of those t-shirts at the sign in table


Singers and spoken word performers, some accompanied by the talented Daphne Nichols. 

The Salem College Ghost Ryders (Step Team)
I wish there had been photos from the art show outside of the performance, it was very cool. 
Photos courtesy of Salem College student activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment