Friday, April 30, 2010

What a Drag


This poster was made during my second college graphic design class. Already, you can see how much my capabilities had evolved since my Breaking the Silence poster. When I created it I was the Public Relations and Media officer for Open Up, Salem College's LGBTQ alliance.

When designing the poster, I wanted to show that there would be both drag kings and queens involved and that it would be playful about gender. I chose kitschy 1960's inspired fonts and saturated cyan and magenta colors playing off of pink for girls and blue for boys. I had a very fun photo shoot with two friends who would be appearing in the drag show to capture the images inside the title. Here's my favorite thing about this poster: the female model featured on the right was wearing no make-up when I shot the photos, so I digitally added the hair appearing on her chin.


That's right, this facial hair is digital!




The little pairs of legs which act as marquees to the event details are from the drag queen who fills up the first letter in the title and the drag king legs on the right are actually from me, who happened to be wearing the slouchiest pants at the photo shoot! I do wish I could share the original photos from the poster photo shoot but I believe they were lost in a dreadful laptop crash.

As a consolation prize, here are some photos from the event via Salem College Student Activities.

Me on the right and my friend Norcea the fabulous dancer doing Justin Timberlake's Sexyback. 

Me and my otherwise super prissy former roommate Laura at the end of  our SNL number. 

The drag queen from the poster, who had some seriously fierce legs. 

The What a Drag poster remains one of my favorite things I created while I was in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment